The Danger of Ant Bites and How to Recover From It! We see the ant in our daily lives. It is a small creature which appears when sugar is left open or spilled out on the floor. Its size also varies from the smallest to the biggest we can ever imagine, spread out to all over the world. It is said that there are approximately 100 trillion ants in the world, although the number is still debatable. Despite the number, there is a threat which comes from ants, their bites.
Ant bites and stings come as the reaction of ant’s mouth when it touches human skin. An ant uses its mandibles and mouth to bite human skin or let’s not exaggerate it, and it is merely a pinch. The bite of an ant hurts our skin for a moment, and then it disappears. In some cases, the bites lead to some serious allergic reaction instead of the normal red marks. It proves that each of us reacts differently to the bites. Here are some cases and preventions of ant bites. Read: How to Control Flying Ants in the House?
Reactions of ant bites
There are two different reactions to the bites: normal and overly allergic depends on the person bitten by the ants.
The normal reaction
This type of reaction is the most likely to happen when we get bitten by ants. It is seen as an itchy red spot which forces us to scratch it faster, although it only makes the itchiness increases. As the time goes by, the red spot and itchy feeling will disappear. Read: Best Ant Traps to Get Rid of Ants
The allergic reactions
This type of reactions is divided into more specific categorizations. The first one is known as the large local reaction which is shown by a larger area of infected skin. If the normal reaction involves less than 5 cm, this one involves 5 to 10 cm. The pain and itch also disappear in 7 to 10 days which is longer than usual. The second allergic ant bites reaction is the mild systemic reaction. The second reaction of ant bites covers the area outside of the bitten skin. It is also marked by mild nausea, diarrhea, and cramping. The third one is known as the severe systemic reaction which is marked by dangerous symptoms such as uterine cramping, vomiting, severe pain in the abdominal area, pain in the chest, severe dizziness and more.
The majority of people have the normal reaction the bites; however, some people are suffering from the allergic reaction to the bites. This phenomenon is caused by different ways of our bodies in defending the venom that the ants inject into our bodies. Some bodies are not as well-prepared as others. So, the best way to avoid the severe reaction of ant bites is to undergo allergy testing by going to a doctor.
Meanwhile, there are some treatments which can be useful to decrease the potential danger of the bites. Firstly, the treatment given to those who experience normal reaction is to remove the ants from the bitten skin by pinching the ant gently and put it somewhere. Then, it is suggested to wash the affected area as clean as possible to wash out the left-over venom on the skin. Lastly, compress the spot with ice or something cool to reduce the swelling and itching.
In a more severe case, ant bites should be treated professionally by doctors. Sometimes the patient needs to be injected with adrenaline or epinephrine when the reaction is mild or severe systematic. So, it is best to educate ourselves of which ants or insect are venomous and would most likely to cause severe reactions. Additionally, we can do some prevention like wearing shoes and sock when going outdoors and gloves while gardening.